Truro, Truro School Chapel

East

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
1928
Number of lights
5
Maker
Not known
Main subject
Art deco borders. Prince of Wales plumes top centre. Armorials in lights b–d:- City of Truro; Truro School; Duchy of Cornwall
Tracery subject
Royal arms flanked by red dragon and red lion
Notes
  1. Insertion=year of opening

Whole window

Tracery and upper part of the main lights. In the tracery are various arms and symbols associated with Edward, Prince of Wales (the future King Edward Ⅷ) who laid the Foundation stone of the chapel. At the top of the central main light is the badge of the Prince of Wales, a plume of three ostrich feathers argent enfiled by a royal coronet of alternate crosses and fleur-de-lys or.

Tracery. In the centre are the arms, supporters, crest and motto of Edward, Prince of Wales (the future King Edward Ⅷ). On the left is the red dragon badge of Wales. On the right is a crowned red lion standing on a crown, probably another badge associated with the Principality of Wales. The arms, supporters and badges all have a ‘label’ (white horizontal strap), the heraldic mark of difference historically associated with the Prince of Wales.

Arms of Truro, Truro School and the Duchy of Cornwall in the centre three lights.

Second light. Arms of the city of Truro. The motto Exultum cornu in Deo may be an inaccurate version of Exaltatum cornu in Deo which is the motto of Truro, and may itself be an abbreviated form of Et exaltatum est cornu meum in Deo meo (Mine horn is exalted in the Lord) (Ⅰ Samuel 2:1).

Centre light. The arms of Truro School.

Fourth light. The arms and motto One & all of the Duchy of Cornwall.