Landulph, St Leonard and St Dilpe

s2. South Chapel east

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
Not known
Number of lights
3
Maker
Not known
Main subject
  1. Emblems of the Crucifixion
  2. Monograms
  3. Arms and crest of Lower
  4. An eagle displayed, pruning her wing (arms of Rous)
  5. Three ostrich feathers
  6. A chevron between three rudders
  7. A chevron between in chief two saltires and in base a crowned head affronté
(arms of Archdeckne and Coryton)
Notes
  1. Subjects and identification of arms from J Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol II p 405. William Lake, Truro, .
  2. Replaced by South Chapel east (1913). Arms of Lower moved to South Chapel south 1, then to display panel?
  3. Truro Diocesan Faculty 18/10/1961 for restoration of small fragment of 15th century glass, P107/2/17.
  4. Mattingly J, Swift MG, Pre-Dissolution stained glass in Cornwall—a gazetteer, Landulph, (originally published in Vidimus Vol 31, ).

The arms of Lower are sable a chevron between three roses argent (Burke, Bernard, The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales, p 627. , London, Harrison & Sons).

Photograph copyright © C Brooks.