Truro, St Mary

South aisle east

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
1845
Number of lights
5
Maker
Warrington, William
Main subject
Diaper pattern with cross ribbons and inscriptions. In the centre of the five lights are the emblems of the Crucifixion and the sufferings of our Lord.
Tracery subject
Sacred monogram in the central light and four cherubic figures of SS Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
Notes
  1. Maker, insertion, subjects Royal Cornwall Gazette p 2.
  2. Revd WW Harvey published a book of his sermons partly to help raise funds for the improvement of St Mary’s, including The filling two large eastern windows of the church with stained glass, having suitable subjects, Discourses preached in the parish church of St. Mary’s, Truro, Heard, Truro, 1846.
  3. The Ecclesiologist No Ⅴ, September 1845, p 241. Chancel east, and South aisle east, both by Warrington, inserted.
  4. The Ecclesiologist, No ⅬⅩⅩⅡ, June 1849, p 401. .Within the last few years five windows of stained glass have been inserted.
  5. The Ecclesiologist, No ⅬⅩⅩⅩⅢ April 1851, p 156. During the last few years, eight windows of painted glass by Mr. Warrington, have been put up in this church, at three several times. These were
    1845 Chancel east, South aisle east.
    1846 SMs3,
    1847 SMs4, SMs5.
    1850 SMs2, SMs6, SMs7.
  6. Polsue (J Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol Ⅳ p 253. William Lake, Truro, ) omits South aisle east in his description of the Warrington windows.
  7. Reinserted by Fouracre and Watson in the same location, which had become St Mary’s Aisle of Truro Cathedral. Minutes of Truro Cathedral Executive Committee, TCM/435, .
  8. Main lights replaced in 1911 (as SM1 in Truro Cathedral), original tracery retained.