Truro, Cathedral Church of St Mary

SMs4. St Mary’s aisle 3

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
1847
Number of lights
2
Maker
Warrington, William
Main subject
Supper at Bethany: Visitation of the sick
Donor
Humphrey Willyams
Dedicatee
Ann(e) Willyams, née Champion, mother of donor.
Notes
  1. Maker (Mr. Waddington, of London), insertion, donor, dedicatee Royal Cornwall Gazette p 2, West of England Conservative and Plymouth and Devonport Advertiser p 4.
  2. Amendment of maker Royal Cornwall Gazette p 2.
  3. The inscription at the bottom of the window is
    Matri·Pietate·et·Beneficentia·insigni·Filius·admiraus Humphredus·Willyams·ⅯⅮⅭⅭⅭⅩⅬⅥ
    (To a remarkable mother, kind and loving, an admiring son Humphrey Willyams 1846.)
  4. Royal Cornwall Gazette p 3 Two very large East Windows of stained glass [Chancel east and South aisle east] have been put in, with a mortuary window [SMs3] in the aisle; and three other windows of stained glass [two of which are probably SMs4, and SMs5] are in preparation.
  5. The Ecclesiologist, No ⅬⅩⅩⅡ, June 1849, p 401. .Within the last few years five windows of stained glass have been inserted.
  6. The Ecclesiologist, No ⅬⅩⅩⅩⅢ April 1851, p 156. During the last few years, eight windows of painted glass by Mr. Warrington, have been put up in this church, at three several times. These were
    1845 Chancel east, South aisle east.
    1846 SMs3,
    1847 SMs4, SMs5.
    1850 SMs2, SMs6, SMs7.
    Part of the inscription is given as In Memoriam Redowi Wylliams [sic] which appears to be a conflation of the inscriptions of SMs3 and SMs4. Redowi may be a misreading of the end of Humphredus and the beginning of Willyams.
  7. Polsue (J Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol Ⅳ p 254. William Lake, Truro, ) conflates SMs2, SMs3 and SMs4, and their inscriptions, and thus refers to SMs5 as the second window in the south wall.
  8. Reinserted by Fouracre and Watson in the same location, which had become St Mary’s Aisle of Truro Cathedral. Minutes of Truro Cathedral Executive Committee, TCM/435, .