Truro, Cathedral Church of St Mary

SM1. St Mary’s aisle east

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
Number of lights
5
Maker
Kempe, CE
Main subject
(1-2) Adoration of the Magi : (3) BVM and child : (4-5) Presentation at the temple. Earlier 19th century angels in tracery and decorative panels behind central reredos. Behind reredos at left - painted crucifixion (Flemish?) and at right - pre-19th cent
Donor
Miss Charlotte Carlyon, daughter of dedicatee
Dedicatee
Revd Thomas Carlyon, rector of St Mary, Truro, and vicar of Probus, died .
Notes
  1. Death of dedicatee, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 2, Globe p 4.
  2. Signed (wheatsheaf and tower).
  3. Manufacturer, donor, dedicatee, insertion Royal Cornwall Gazette p 4, Lake’s Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser p 7, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
  4. Dedicated Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
  5. Truro Diocesan Kalendar p 156 (). Heard & Sons, Truro (D/E/3/15, D/E/4/7, TCM/1257/7). New stained glass in East window, the gift of Miss C. Carlyon, in memory of her father, was dedicated by the Bishop of S. Germans.
  6. TDM 1911 : 135.
  7. FWBB 1948, 146 confirms tracery and below triptych as Warrington, inserted in 1845 as South aisle east.
  8. Kempe, 2000, COR 18.1.

In the centre is the Blessed Virgin Mary, flanked by scenes of the Adoration of the Magi and the Presentation at the Temple.

Fragment. In the foreground is an altar with two candlesticks, and behind is a reredos with Christ on the cross and the Blessed Virgin Mary and Mary Magdalene on the left, and St John on the right.