Zennor, St Senner (Senara)

s2. Chancel south 1

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
Number of lights
3
Maker
Horwood, Edwin, of Frome
Main subject
SS Gregory : Augustine : David
Donor
Mrs Eady-Borlase of Combe Royal
Dedicatee
Revd William Borlase, vicar of Zennor , died .
Notes
  1. Death of dedicatee, Western Morning News p 1, Cornishman p 6, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 8, Cornish & Devon Post p 4.
  2. One of six windows inserted during restoration superintended by Revd FC Hingeston-Randolph.
  3. Truro Diocesan Kalendar p 165 (). Heard & Sons, Truro (D/E/3/6, D/E/4/3, TCM/1257/3).
  4. Re-opening of church on after restoration announced in Cornishman p 8.
  5. Maker and donor from Report and Transactions of the Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society 1892–93 p 25 (held by Morrab Library, Penzance).

s2. TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF WILLIAM BORLASE, M.A. VICAR OF THIS CHURCH , THE CHANCEL WINDOWS ARE DEDICATED.

s2 a. S. Gregory the Great. P.

St Gregory is shown in alb, stole, cope and mitre. In his left hand he carries a papal cross and a book, a reference to his various religious writings.

s2 b. S. Augustine of Canterbury Abp.

St Augustine is shown in full episcopal vestments, holding a crozier in his left hand.

s2 c. S. David of Menevia Abp.

St David is shown wearing an alb, cope, mitre and episcopal gloves. In his left hand he holds a crozier. Meneva or Menevia was the Roman name for the city in Wales now known as St David’s.