St Erth, St Ercus

s2. South Chapel east

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
Number of lights
5
Maker
Clayton & Bell
Main subject
2a. Unidentfied British saint and martyr, holding a palm frond 2b. Unidentfied British saint and bishop, holding a model of a ship 2c. Christ as the Good Shepherd 2d. Unidentfied British saint and bishop, holding a model of a church 2e. St Alban
1. Five scenes from the life of the Good Shepherd
Tracery subject
A1. Angel in adoration
A2. Blessed Virgin Mary
A3. St John the Baptist
A4. Angel in adoration
Subject type
Figurative historical
Donor
“Parishioners and Friends”
Dedicatee
Revd Alfred Wilson Mills, vicar of St Erth , died aged 53.
Notes
  1. Death of dedicatee, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 4.
  2. Erected on All Souls’ Day , Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5, Cornishman p 6, Cornish Telegraph p 6.
  3. Kelly’s Directory p 1089 gives location as in the south aisle.. Current location is in Lady Chapel which was restored and dedicated (built according to Church Trails in Cornwall cards. North Cornwall Heritage Coast and Countryside Service) in so it may have moved from its original location.
  4. Church included in C&B list c.1910

This window is dedicated to the glory of God, and in loving memory of Alfred Wilson Mills, M.A., for 23 years vicar of this parish. Fell asleep in Jesus . Erected by his parishioners and friends on All Souls’-day, (inscription on a brass tablet below the window)