Madron, St Madern

North aisle west

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
Number of lights
3
Maker
Not known
Main subject
Crucifixion
Tracery subject
Instruments of the passion
Donor
Revd Michael Nowell Peters, vicar of Madron.
Notes
  1. Mayer in style.
  2. Originally inserted in Madron North aisle west (1847).
  3. Insertion, donor, subject Royal Cornwall Gazette p 2. believed to be the workmanship of one of the ancient masters. The sixth painted window in Madron church at the time of insertion.
  4. Letter refers to Crucifixion window at west end of north aisle donated by vicar Cornish Telegraph p 3, representing the Crucifixion, painted by Hans Holbein.
  5. Cornish Telegraph p 6, which reproduces The Gentleman’s Magazine May 1862 p 529.
  6. J Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol III p 211. William Lake, Truro, .
  7. Still present at Madron Cornish Telegraph p 6. Some of the work in this window is believed to have been by Holbien [sic].
  8. Moved to Heamoor Chancel east probably at the 1887 restoration.
  9. Mission church at Heamoor opened and dedicated Cornish Telegraph p 5. At the eastern and western ends of the Church are stained glass windows, which at one time formed part of the fabric of the mother Church of the parish. Implies they were not moved in 1892 directly from Madron to new church at Heamoor.