Madron, St Madern

e1. Chancel east

Entries in grey are not obtained from documentary evidence, but are inferred from content, context, etc.

Date of manufacture and insertion
1860s
Number of lights
3
Maker
Not known
Main subject
Christ bearing the Cross
Donor
Revd Michael Nowell Peters
Notes
  1. Mayer in style.
  2. Originally inserted in Madron Chancel east.
  3. Manufacture=probable decade from style and composition.
  4. Cornish Telegraph p 6, which reproduces The Gentleman’s Magazine May 1862 p 529. The east window is modern, and not in good taste; it is of two lights, transomed, and filled with stained glass. Does this refer to this window, which has three lights?
  5. J Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol III p 211. William Lake, Truro, states the subject is Christ bearing the cross.
  6. Kelly’s Directory p 808 nearly all the windows are of stained glass, and some of them are very elaborate..
  7. Still present at Madron Cornish Telegraph p 6.
  8. Moved to Heamoor West probably at the 1887 restoration.
  9. Mission church at Heamoor opened and dedicated Cornish Telegraph p 5. At the eastern and western ends of the Church are stained glass windows, which at one time formed part of the fabric of the mother Church of the parish. Implies they were not moved in 1892 directly from Madron to new church at Heamoor.