Tintagel, St Materiana
GPS coordinates: (50.663028, -4.759668)
Notes on the church
- Renovation, including the insertion of three new windows at expense of the lay proprietors, West of England Conservative and Plymouth and Devonport Advertiser p 5, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
- Restoration at expense of Mr Price of Torrington, the lay rector The Ecclesiologist, No LXXXIV June 1851, p 234 three stone windows in the chancel shortly to be filled with stained glass. Describes church as St Symphorian, Tintagel, but within article explicitly mentions St Symphorian, Forrabury as well.
- Royal Cornwall Gazette p 6. Reprints article from The Ecclesiologist, June, 1851, op. cit..
- Building News and Engineering Journal Volume 6 p 671 (). EJ Kibblewhite, London..
- North transept to be restored in memory of John Douglas Cook, editor of the Saturday Review, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
- To be reopened after restoration Western Morning News p 4. Quotes description from BNEJ 1860, op. cit..
- Description by JP St Aubyn of church and restoration Western Morning News p 2.
- J Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol IV p 231. William Lake, Truro, .
- Kelly’s Directory p 871.
- Kelly’s Directory p 1026 (lists some memorial windows.
- Restored 1870 - JP St Aubyn (Brown, H Miles, What to look for in Cornish churches. Newton Abbot, David and Charles, )
The windows are listed starting from liturgical east and going round clockwise, looking down on the building from above. Insertion dates are given when a window has been replaced.