St Mewan, St Mewan
Historic England grade II*, list entry 1327442.
GPS coordinates: (50.332484, -4.813859)
Notes on the church
- Repaired 1851 - GE Street (Beacham, Peter, Pevsner, Nikolaus, Buildings of England—Cornwall, 3rd edition, p 583. London, Yale University Press, , or 1854 J Polsue, A Complete Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol III p 326. William Lake, Truro, - £440 from Parish rate).
Application for aid(Exeter Diocesan Church Building Association): Exeter Flying Post p 5, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 4.
Thoroughly repaired in 1854.
There are several stained glass windows. Kelly’s Directory of Cornwall p 817.
- Kelly’s Directory of Cornwall p 958
- New aisle to be added, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
- JP St Aubyn consulted on new aisle, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
- South aisle not yet added, price too high, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
- Enlarged 1890, south aisle extended, two stained windows erected, Kelly’s Directory of Cornwall p 1199.
- Reopened after restoration Royal Cornwall Gazette p 7.
harshly1865 (Brown, H Miles, What to look for in Cornish churches. Newton Abbot, David and Charles, )
The windows are listed starting from liturgical east and going round clockwise, looking down on the building from above. Insertion dates are given when a window has been replaced.