Newlyn, St Peter

Location

Location map.

GPS coordinates: (50.107512, -5.551694)

Notes on the church

  1. Foundation stone to be laid on announced in Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5
  2. Foundation laid on Royal Cornwall Gazette p 8.
  3. Opened on Cornish Telegraph p 2, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 4. Architect was Mr James Perrow of Penzance.
  4. Consecrated Royal Cornwall Gazette p 5.
  5. Proposed to insert window in memory of Revd J Keble Royal Cornwall Gazette p 8.
  6. Kelly’s Directory of Cornwall p 824: There is a stained window in the chancel.
  7. Kelly’s Directory of Cornwall p 966. Mentions window in chancel in memory of Revd James Jenkins Keigwin and his wife Anne, but this also appears in St Newlyn East, to which it refers.
  8. Foundation stone of new aisle in memory of Revd Field-Richards, died 1879, (brother of HC Richards) laid , Cornishman p 7.
  9. Work on new aisle has begun; progress limited by weather. Cornishman p 6.
  10. New aisle fast approaching completion Cornish Telegraph p 5
  11. Opening on of new (north) aisle and transept in memory of Revd F Field-Richards Cornishman p 5, Royal Cornwall Gazette p 7.
  12. Truro Diocesan Kalendar p 155 (). Heard & Sons, Truro (D/E/3/4, D/E/4/2). Foundations of new aisle and transept laid.
  13. Truro Diocesan Kalendar p 156 (). Heard & Sons, Truro (D/E/3/4, D/E/4/2). Dedication of new aisle and transept.
  14. Kelly’s Directory of Cornwall p 1210.
  15. Kelly’s Directory of Cornwall p 229.
  16. …the glass generally is the design of the late Mr. G.V. Ostrahan, who with his wife lived at Newlyn; for one or two windows, with the exception of the East window, have been carried out in the studios of St. Dunstan’s-hill in the city, by Messrs. Chator and Son Royal Cornwall Gazette p 4. Confused and inaccurate article!
  17. Restored 1920 - Martin Travers (Brown, H Miles, What to look for in Cornish churches. Newton Abbot, David and Charles, )
  18. Reopened after redecoration. Organ moved from north side to a new gallery over the west entrance. General scheme of alterations by vicar, Revd AG Wyon, and developed by Martin Travers (London architect). Cornishman p 3.

The windows are listed starting from liturgical east and going round clockwise, looking down on the building from above. Insertion dates are given when a window has been replaced.